Omega-3 fatty acids are extremely important for our body. It is known to have some amazing health benefits. There are basically 3 types of omega-3 fatty acids: ALA, EPA, DHA. And our body does not make any omega-3 fatty acids itself. Hence, it is mandatory to get this essential element from our diet. There are some foods that naturally contain omega-3 fatty acids, and it is also added to some fortified foods.
Fish and other seafood such as salmon, herring, sardines, and tuna are excellent sources of Omega 3. Aside from fish, flax seeds, chia seeds, walnuts, canola oils, soybean oils, cod liver oil, krill oil, and eggs are overflowing with the goodness of omega-3 fatty acids.
Check out how omega-3s help the body stay fit:
1. Reduces the risk of age-related macular degeneration (AMD): Ensure a high dietary intake of omega-3 fatty acids to prevent the risk of AMD. DHA is an essential structural part of the retina. Therefore, it is important to have omega-3s as the DHA in them will help protect the eyes from dryness, facilitate proper drainage of eye fluid, and thereby reduce the risk of glaucoma and high intraocular pressure. Have omega-3 rich foods for significantly better visual acuity.
2. Beneficial for Cardiovascular Health: Have omega-3 rich foods as it lowers triglycerides, lowers blood pressure, increases “good” HDL cholesterol, prevents harmful blood clots and plaques from forming on artery walls – anything this is the way to ensure a good, healthy heart.
3. Beneficial for Rheumatoid Arthritis: If you suffer from it or are trying not to become a victim of this chronic disease, consumption of omega-3 fatty acids is highly recommended. Timely intake of omega-3 supplements along with the necessary arthritis medication will relieve chronic pain, acute stiffness, and swelling of the joints.
4. Beneficial for brain health: DHA accounts for around 40% of the polyunsaturated fatty acids in the brain. To avoid ADHD, cerebral palsy, and autism, omega-3 supplements are imperative. It is known that omega-3 fatty acids prevent Alzheimer’s disease, depression and anxiety. Adequate intake of omega-3 supplements is known to be beneficial for mood swings. Patients with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are advised to consume plenty of foods rich in omega-3s.
5. Beneficial in combating autoimmune diseases: Autoimmune diseases such as type 1 diabetes, ulcerative colitis, multiple sclerosis, Crohn’s disease and psoriasis can be combated with a constant and appropriate consumption of omega-3 fatty acids.